- Musing about a roll-down room divider with an image of eyes or smiling lips on it.
- My delirious decision to take up this “challenge” and to present an unsolicited sketch of an eye.
- Collaborating on the actual subject and layout of what was turning out to be an enormous drawing.
- Drawing in the public space of the café with support and helpful criticism, hearing dubious but generous encouragement, and meeting many people who would become friends.
- The lovely opening party for the project on January 20, 2017.
What is your most memorable moment at FRIEDA?
How did you find/hear about FRIEDA?
The future FRIEDA was on one of my regular walking routes, so I “discovered” it before it opened. I was tantalized by the promising announcements on the paper that covered the windows during construction: Café - Atelier - Store.
What did you think when you walked in for the first time?
On first walking into the newly opened space, I was struck by the clean, crisp design and by the friendly welcome I was given.
In what ways are you active
Now, I stop for lunch or tea (alone or with friends), attend activities and special events, and impatiently anticipate the community dinners.
How would you describe
FRIEDA to a friend?
I often tell friends that it’s a wonderful place, bordering on miraculous. It has become an essential element in my life.
What does FRIEDA mean to you?
A space to find friendship, support, encouragement, and stimulating programs - as well as excellent food.
FRIEDA in one word: